YELLOWKNIFE (October 30, 2018) – Today, Minister of Infrastructure Wally Schumann announced the launch of a new grant initiative—the Government Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Grant Program.
The Government GHG Grant Program is an application-based, non-repayable grant program designed to support GHG emissions reduction projects and initiatives for NWT community governments, municipalities, and Indigenous governments.
This new program will make $1.8 million in funding available each year, over the next four years, including the 2018-2019 fiscal year. Grants will support up to 75% of eligible project costs.
The GHG Grant Program is part of the $23 million invested in the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund (LCELF) jointly announced by the GNWT and the Government of Canada earlier this month to support NWT programs that take action on climate change.
“The Government of the Northwest Territories is committed to an energy system that contributes to the territory’s economic, social and environmental wellbeing, while doing our part in the transition to a lower-carbon economy. This Program is just one way the GNWT is supporting NWT community and Indigenous governments develop community-based projects that result in real GHG reductions and make communities more sustainable.”
-Wally Schumann, Minister of Infrastructure
- This is a competitive program. Projects with the better lifetime GHG reductions per dollar granted will be given preference for funding and applicants may not necessarily receive funding.
- This program will fund larger community and Indigenous government based projects.
- Smaller initiatives may seek access to funding through the Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA).
- Renewable electricity projects are not eligible for funding under this program.
- Other programs are available through the AEA or the Government of Canada to support renewable electricity projects.
- The Department of Infrastructure (INF) is responsible for programming aimed at energy conservation and efficiency, and reducing energy costs in the Northwest Territories (NWT).
- Government GHG Grant Program
- GNWT’s 2030 Energy Strategy
- Arctic Energy Alliance
- Government of Canada announces funding for NWT programs that will support energy efficiency retrofits and forest regeneration.
Department of Infrastructure Communications
Phone: (867) 767-9082 ext. 31046