Drivers and Vehicle Services

Veteran Licence Plates

Veteran plates are available to any person who has honourably: 

  • Served in the Armed Forces of Canada, the Commonwealth, or its wartime allies for a minimum of three years.
  • Served in the Merchant Navy, or Ferry Command during wartime.
  • ​Performed NATO service of Peacekeeping mission(s) with the Armed Forces of Canada 

To apply for a veteran plate, follow these steps:

  • Complete this application form and submit with the supporting documentation to your local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion in the NWT.
  • The application will be forwarded to Northwest Territories/Alberta Command for certification, then on to the Department of Infrastructure's Licencing and Compliance division.
  • Once approved, the applicant will be notified to to go their local issuing office and complete a Veteran Licence Plate registration, new issue, or exchange transaction. 

PLEASE NOTE: Veteran plates are non-transferable.