Electrical and Elevators

Electrical and Elevators


Once registered, a valid permit is required before you start work on any type of elevating device or electrical or electronic installation in the NWT.

Print the application you need and fill it out. Once complete, include the appropriate fee (which can be found under the fees section), then you can email, fax or deliver your application to:

Electrical/Mechanical Safety Laing Building, 1st Floor Box 1320 Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9 

Electrical Permits

Annual Permit

Issued to a business for electrical installation work needed for day-to-day operation. It also allows Qualified Housing Maintainers to do limited electrical work. Please read All About Annual Permits.

Application for Permit for Wiring Installations - Electrical Workers Only

Required for each electrical job in the NWT, whether a new installation, rewiring, or addition to an existing installation.

Applications to Supply Electric Energy and Conceal Rough Wiring

To ensure that work done follows the permit, code, and is safe for the supply of electric energy and safe to make roughed-in work inaccessible.

Application for Permit for Wiring Installations - Residential Property Owners Only

Allows a person who owns and lives in a home to work on the wiring of that home. Inspection is still required

For information on Residential Property Owner’s permits, click here.

Elevator Permits

Elevating Device Installation

Required for each installation of an elevating device, whether new or an alteration.


Application for Variance

For new technology not covered by the codes and standards, apply for a variance.