Highways, Ferries, and Winter Roads

Vehicle Damage Claim

The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is responsible for operating and maintaining the Northwest Territories highway system.

Please note that not all roads are operated and maintained by the GNWT. For example, municipalities are responsible for most roads within their municipal boundaries.

If you feel that your vehicle sustained damage on the highway system, you may submit a claim. Submitting a claim for damage to your vehicle that occurred on a GNWT highway does not guarantee that you will necessarily receive compensation. Your claim will be thoroughly reviewed and a response will be provided. The review typically takes several weeks to complete.

How to file a claim

Your claim must be made in writing with the following information:

  • Date
  • Time
  • Location
  • Estimate of damage (photos are helpful)
  • Description of the incident
  • Witness information
  • Your name and address
  • Phone number (optional)

Once complete, send your claim to:

Risk Management & Insurance
Department of Finance
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2l9

You may wish to consider reporting your claim to your own insurer, who may have a contractual obligation to you to repair your damage right away. Your insurer can then seek reimbursement from the GNWT on your behalf.