The City of Yellowknife Municipal Enforcement Division offers a snowmobile safety course.
Share The Trail
- Have a plan for breakdowns or bad weather
- Dress for the cold, and always wear a helmet
- Be alert for other riders and other trail users
- Approach hikers, skiers, dog sleds, and wildlife with caution
- Cross roadways with care, and only after stopping
- Make sure you're highly visible by day and at night
- Ride according to conditions at a safe speed
- Reduce speed on unfamiliar trails and at night
- Watch for thin ice and areas of moving water
- Ride sober, and only with sober buddies
- Mark your recreational ice roads for the safety of others:
1. Obtain a free woodcutting permit from ENR to harvest small trees.
2. Set your markers up along the roadside at 30-metre intervals.
3. Remove markers before the spring melt and breakup.