A 540 kW wood pellet boiler has been installed in the new Combined Services Building at the Yellowknife airport and at the Elizabeth Mackenzie Elementary School in Behchoko.
- Contractor: J&R Mechanical Ltd
- Construction Cost: $1,125,000
- A feasibility study was undertaken in 2010 for the biomass heating systems.
- The projects were approved in 2011.
- Combined, these boilers displace approximately 335,000 litres of heating fuel oil annually, representing a GHG emissions reduction of 900 tonnes, which is equivalent to removing 180 cars off the road