Mail services for the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) are provided by contracts with private companies or by the GNWT.
Mail is picked up and delivered on a scheduled basis to government offices. If you are a government worker and want to change a delivery location, call your mail contractor.
GNWT Mail Services
- GNWT contact: Kim Myers
- Property Watch
- GNWT contact: Janice Courtoreille
- Midnight Sun Contracting
- GNWT contact: Louise Kuzman
- Yellowknife Mail Room
Phone: 767-9049 ext. 32178 or 32179
- GNWT contact: Russ Jones
Phone: 767-9049 ext. 32175
Internal mail is any letter or package that is sent between GNWT departments, boards and agencies that are delivered through our mail service.
Internal mail service is available:
- Within Fort Simpson, Hay River and Yellowknife.
- Between Yellowknife and some communities, including Hay River by regional mail bag. Regional mail bag service is twice weekly.
- All other communities are served by Canada Post regular services.
*Mail to Fort Smith must be packaged and addressed for Canada Post.
*Mail to Inuvik must be packaged and addressed for Canada Post.
*Mail to Fort Simpson must be packaged and addressed for Canada Post.
- Use internal mail envelopes. There are 2 sizes of tan envelope labelled INTERNAL: 4x9½ and 12x16, with holes in it. (Envelope supplies are available from the GNWT warehouse.)
- Address internal envelopes to:
- Department, board or agency name
- Location (building name, floor and community)
For internal parcels, mark clearly INTERNAL MAIL. Otherwise it might be sent by Canada Post.
- External mail is any letter or package that must go through Canada Post and requires postage for delivery.
- Use standard GNWT letterhead envelopes.
- Address external mail as you would any posted mail, including return address and postal code.
- Parcels are sent by regular mail unless you give other instructions. (Remember to mark internal mail parcels clearly so they won't be sent through the Post.)
When you have a large mail out, call the mail services contractor in advance. For large mailings, the user pays for the actual postage, plus a service fee.
Departments must prepare their own registered mail. You need a registered label and a registered mail manifest (both of these are available from the mail contractor). A registered letter must be less than 500 grams (about a pound) and be within Canada Post size restrictions.
Put an elastic band around the registered letters and manifest, then put them in the out basket for the next pick up.
Use a sticky note on any US and International letter mail to make sure it is noticed and correct postage used. You must also include the addressee’s phone number in the address. Put an elastic band around a group of letters.
Items sent as small packet or parcel must have customs documents and details of the contents listed on the outside of the package. Give the description of each item, unit value, and number of units (customs forms are available from the mail contractor).
If you want to send a letter or parcel by Xpress Post or Priority Post, contact the GNWT warehouse for an envelope(s).
The following supplies are available for GNWT employees:
Internal and external mail envelopes
*Priority Post and Xpress Post envelopes
- Registered letter stickers and manifests
- Customs declaration labels
- NWT 1901 - Tan Color, 4 1/8" x 9 1/2"
- NWT 7000 - Tan Color with holes, 12" x 16
- NWT 1902 - Tan Color, 9" x 12"
- NWT 1903 - Tan Color, 9" x 15"
- NWT 2094 - White Color, 4 1/8" x 9 1/2"
- Priority Post Envelopes: Choose a size from the Stocked Items Catalog
- Xpress Post Envelopes: Choose a size from the Stocked Items Catalog
*For these envelopes, visit the GNWT Warehouse in Yellowknife, go to Internal Services for requisitions, or call 767-9049 ext. 32178 or ext. 32179.