The Canyon Creek All-Season Access Road is a new 14 kilometre all-season access road from Norman Wells to Canyon Creek.
The Government of Canada provided up to $15 million while the Government of the Northwest Territories provided the remaining $5 million for this project.
- The Canyon Creek access road is another step toward the construction of the Mackenzie Valley Highway, as it replaced the previous winter road that was constructed annually between Norman Wells and Canyon Creek.
- This project offered training opportunities for approximately 12 trainees and 16 heavy equipment operators, and employment opportunities for 50 people during construction.
- The road provides increased reliability for shipments of essential supplies, and easier access to traditional hunting and fishing areas.
- Residents, businesses and contractors in the Hamlet of Tulita and the Town of Norman Wells are benefitting from the related business and employment opportunities.
Official opening - November 13, 2018
The Canyon Creek All-Season Road officially opened to the public on November 13, 2018. The opening cremonies were attended by:
- The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
- The Honourable Wally Schumann, Minister of Infrastructure and Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
- Member of Parliament Michael McLeod, Member of Parliament for the Northwest Territories
- And many other special guests