The Community Access Program (CAP) provides financial contributions to communities toward the construction or maintenance of access roads, trails, docks and wharves.
The annual CAP budget for all summer and winter projects combined is $1.5 million dollars.
Project proposals are accepted twice per year: a spring intake for summer construction projects and a fall intake for winter construction projects.
This funding program is application‐based. Funding is allocated according to:
- The merit of a project proposal
- The level of community support (project proposals must be supported by community leadership).
- Level of funds remaining in the CAP budget.
- All community governments and organizations located in the Northwest Territories (NWT) are encouraged to apply for funding for construction projects that meet the following community needs:
- Access roads to hunting, fishing, wood harvesting, and community recreational areas.
- Trails connecting to the community for walking, hiking, recreational and traditional activities (such as camps or archaeological sites).
- Docks and wharves to support boating and marine activities, as well as harvesting (including fishing and hunting) and recreational uses.
How to apply
To apply, please fill out an application form. Submit the completed form, along with any supporting documents, to your regional superintendent for your area.
- Community Access Program Policy
- CAP Funding Guide
- PDF icon CAP Construction Proposal Application Form
- Community Access Program: 2018-2019 Results Report
- Community Access Program: 2019-2020 Results Report
- Community Access Program: 2020-2021 Result Report
If you have questions about the application process or CAP, please contact the INF Regional Office for your region, or:
Phone: (867) 767-9047 ext. 31040
Mail: Community Access Program
Policy, Planning, and Communications
P.O. Box 1320
3rd Floor, 5009 49th Street
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9