Driver and Vehicle Services

COVID-19 Update

Government-operated driver and motor vehicle (DMV) offices are open for in-person services. For information on booking a DMV appointment, click here

To obtain contact information and hours for government-operated DMV offices, click here.

Accident Reports

To request an accident report, follow these steps:

  1. Fill out this form
  2. Bring the form to a DMV office with:
    • Photo identification
    • The accident report number from the RCMP

Rather than visit a DMV office, you can also email the form and accident report number to or fax to 867-669-9094. 

NOTE: The fee for an accident report is $19.95

Driver Abstracts

There are two ways to request a driver abstract: 

  1. Online
  2. Bring this form to your local DMV office along with valid photo identification

Note for insurance companies, individuals outside the territory and bulk abstract requests: You can email proof of valid photo identifcation to Please allow 24 to 48 hours for your request to be processed. Include this form (filled out) with the email request. You can also fax in the form at 867-669-9094.

Drivers Licences

To renew or apply for a drivers licence, review the medical requirements and follow these steps: 

  1. Visit your local issuing office. You can also renew your driver’s licence or book a driver’s exam online.
  2. Fill out an N.W.T. Application for Driver’s Licence or General Identification Form.
  3. If you meet the identification requirements you may be issued a temporary driver's licence, which can be used to drive until you receive the final licence by mail in two to four weeks. 

    NOTE: Those renewing an NWT driver's licence who have a secure driver's licence, whose address on their licence is current, and who have already met all conditions for obtaining a secure driver's licence, can use the secure driver's licence alone to meet all identification requirements for renewal.  Those clients who also wish to change their address information when renewing their driver's licence must provide their secure driver's licence and a residency document. Those who do not meet these conditions will be required to produce proof of birth date and legal name, government-issued photo identification, and proof of residency.

Graduated Licence Stages

New drivers are required to take a series of steps to attain a full Class 5 Driver's Licence:


  • Must be 15 years of age or older
  • Must pass a written examination
  • The Learner’s stage lasts for a minimum of 12 months, providing the driver remains suspension free
  • Driving after consuming ANY alcohol or while otherwise impaired is prohibited
  • A Learner must drive with a fully licensed driver who has a minimum of 24 months experience with a full Class 5 (not class 5P) licence
  • A Learner may not have any passengers other than the supervisor
  • A Learner may not drive between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • The Class 7 licence must be held for at least one year before qualifying for a Class 5P Licence.
  • Accumulation of six or more demerit points shall result in a suspension of the Class 7 Licence by the Registrar.


  • Driving after consuming any alcohol or while otherwise impaired is prohibited.
  • Must be at least 16 years of age
  • Must have completed the 12-month learner stage
  • Must pass a practical road examination
  • No supervisor required
  • A probationary driver cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a Learner (Class 7 licence holder)
  • The probationary stage lasts for a minimum of 12 months, providing the driver remains suspension free. After the probationary period has ended, the driver must apply at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office for an upgrade from the Class 5P to a Class 5 licence - this does not automatically occur.
  • During the 12 month probationary stage, there can be no upgrading to a commercial (Class 1, 2, 3, or 4) Licence.
  • Only one passenger is permitted in the front seat


  • Must have completed the Probationary stage

  • If, after 12 months as a holder of a Class 5P licence, you are eligible for a full Class 5 licence, you must apply for an upgrade from your Class 5P to a Class 5 at any Driver and Vehicle licensing office. The upgrade does not take effect automatically - it must be applied for

Driver Exams

To book a driver exam, visit a local DMV office or book online.

Valid photo identifcation is required, as well as proof of residency, proof of legal name and date of birth.

Driver Manuals

The following driver manuals are downloadable at no cost. Print copies are available at any driver and vehicle licensing office for $11.00.

General Identification Cards - New

To renew or apply for a general identification card (GIC), follow these steps: 

  1. Visit one of our DMV offices with photo identification.

  2. Fill out an “N.W.T. Application for Driver’s Licence or General Identification Form.”

  3. Your card will arrive by mail within 2 to 4 weeks.

General Identification Cards - Renewal

To renew or apply for a general identification card (GIC), follow these steps: 

  1. Visit one of our DMV offices with photo identification.

  2. Fill out an “N.W.T. Application for Driver’s Licence or General Identification Form.”

  3. Your card will arrive by mail within 2 to 4 weeks.

In-Transit Permits

Licence Plates - Construction

Construction ‘H’ licence plates are required for the following construction vehicles:

  • Graders
  • Loaders
  • Shovels
  • Tractors
  • Mobile Cranes
  • Backhoes
  • Forklifts
  • Other similar equipment not normally used for travel on a highway

Licence Plates - Veteran

Veteran licence plates are available to any person who has honourably: 

  • Served in the Armed Forces of Canada, the Commonwealth, or its wartime allies for a minimum of three years.
  • Served in the Merchant Navy, or Ferry Command during wartime.
  • ​Performed NATO service of Peacekeeping mission(s) with the Armed Forces of Canada 

To apply for a veteran licence plate, follow these steps:

  1. Complete this application form and submit with the supporting documentation to your local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion in the NWT.
  2. The application will be forwarded to Northwest Territories/Alberta Command for certification, then on to the Department of Infrastructure's Licencing and Compliance division.
  3. Once approved, the applicant will be notified to to go their local issuing office and complete a Veteran Licence Plate registration, new issue, or exchange transaction. 

PLEASE NOTE: Veteran plates are non-transferable. 

Licence Plates - Personalized

Personalized licence plates reflecting your choice of letters and numbers are available in the Northwest Territories. They can be purchased by any NWT resident for use on private passenger vehicles including motorcycles and motor-homes. 

Personalized plates cannot be used on vehicles which require special plates such as trailers, rental, dealer, public service, or commercial vehicles.

Guidelines for selecting your personalized licence plate slogan: 

  • Slogans must be between two and six characters, including blank spaces. 
  • Do not use numbers only, or any symbols or punctuation.
  • Do not use combinations of letters or numbers that may be considered profane, offensive, or suggestive. 
  • Do not use combinations of characters that could create identification problems (e.g., 1 beside an I). 
  • Do not use combinations of characters that conflict wtih numbering systems already in use. This includes slogans beginning with CV, PS, RE, D, M, C and P followed by numbers. 

More information and application forms for personalized licence plates are available at all local issuing offices. Forms must be accompanied by the fee plus GST.

Right-Hand-Drive Vehicles

Right-Hand-Drive Vehicles were never built for or intended to be driven on North American roads. Therefore, they may have equipment and parts that pose a danger to the driver, passengers, and the public. To ensure the safety of the travelling public, a number of modifications may have to be made to the right-hand-drive vehicle before it can be allowed to operate legally on NWT roads and highways.

If you intend to drive your vehicle on NWT highways, follow these steps:

  1. Register the vehicle. This can be done at any Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
  2. Make an appointment for a vehicle inspection. These inspections are performed by Highway Traffic Officers in Yellowknife, Hay River, and Inuvik, at no cost to the owner.

    To set up an appointment for an inspection, contact the Highway Traffic Officer(s) nearest you:

    Hay River: 867-984-3291
    Inuvik: 867-777-7283
    Yellowknife: 867-767-9088 (extension 31182)
  3. If the vehicle passes inspection, you will receive a form signed by the Highway Traffic Officer confirming that you are permitted to register your vehicle or to renew your registration. If the vehicle does not pass inspection, you will receive a form detailing any modification work that must be completed. The mechanic of your choice may do the modifications; however, it is recommended that you contact the original equipment manufacturer for proper parts. You are responsible for having this work completed, at your cost, prior to your next inspection.

Vehicle Registration - New

Vehicle Registration - Renewal

[toc List of Services]

8 axle permit

9 axle permit

Deh Cho Bridge Tolls

All northbound commercial vehicles over 4,500 kg crossing the Deh Cho Bridge are subject to a toll.

Payment Methods 
1. Single-use Toll Permits  

Single-use toll permits must be purchased prior to crossing the bridge.

Permits can be purchased online or by contacting the scale for permit inquiries at 1-866-225-3505. Commercial carriers may also establish a business relationship with a third party permit issuer.

Tolling Class

Type, Class or Configuration







2 to 4 axles or a pick-up truck or bus with trailer



5 or 6 axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)



7 or 8 axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)



9 or more axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)

2. Monthly Payment Remittance 

Carriers have the option of applying to use the monthly remittance method instead of purchasing single-use toll permits in advance.

By remitting a single payment for all crossings in a given month, accounting and payment procedures will be simplified. Remittance users will also enjoy considerable savings compared to purchasers of single-use toll permits.

To apply for the Remittance Program, complete the Remittance Application in full and return to the Department of Infrastructure. Once an application is approved, carriers using the monthly remittance method must report all northbound trips. Approved carriers must also register and install an approved transponder in every vehicle crossing the bridge. Transponders must be obtained from International Road Dynamics (IRD) by calling toll-free at 1 (866) 903-0333 or by email to Transponder.

Tolling Class

Type, Class or Configuration







2 to 4 axles or a pick-up truck or bus with trailer



5 or 6 axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)



7 or 8 axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)



9 or more axles
(excluding pick-up truck or bus)


Extended length permit

Fuel tax

**Any carriers wishing to become monthly fuel tax reporters may do so by contacting the Department of Finance at (867) 920-3402.

Hours of service permit

National Safety Code (NSC) Application

All base plated carriers in the NWT must have an active NSC number issued to them. Any commercial vehicle weighing more than 4,500 kilograms or any bus with a seating capacity greater than 10 (including the driver) must be registered. Complete the NSC Application and send to the address on the last page.

Over height permit

Over width permit

Over-dimension permit

Over-weight permit

Permit Pre-authorization Request

Certain overweight and oversized vehicles are required to fill out a pre-authorization permit request before entering the NWT.

Wide base super single

Winter road permit