The Tłı̨chǫ All-season Road will provide all-weather access from Highway 3 west of Yellowknife to the community of Whatì.
- Two-lane gravel highway
- 97 kilometres in length
- Public-private partnership (P3)
- The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is working in partnership with the Tłı̨chǫ Government to advance the project.
- The project is funded jointly by the Government of Canada (25%) and the Government of the Northwest Territories (75%).
- Replacing the southern section of the existing winter road will adapt to the impacts of climate change, provide uninterrupted access to Whatì and increase the winter road window-of-access to the communities of Gamètì and Wekweètì.
- Transportation efficiencies will reduce the cost of living for the region and embrace social opportunities.
- The capital ceiling in the Request for Proposals (RFP) is $200 million.
- All-weather access will attract further interest from industry in exploration and development of natural resources.
- Road construction and maintenance will result in significant employment and training opportunities for Tłı̨chǫ residents that support the development of a strong northern workforce.
March 20, 2017: A Request for Qualifications is issued.
September 13, 2017: Three proponents are announced to have qualifyed in the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process.
- December 5, 2017: A Request for Proposals is issued to the three proponents that were selected through the Request for Qualifications process.
- October 26, 2018: An environmental assessment is completed. The regulatory and permitting phase begins.
- November 13, 2018: The GNWT announces a preferred proponent.
- Fall 2019: Construction expected to start.
- Fall 2020: The project expected to be 50% complete.
- Fall 2021: The new Tłı̨chǫ All-Season Highway is expected to open to the public.