GHG Grant Program for Buildings and Industry
The Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) GHG Grant Program for Buildings and Industry is an application based non-repayable grant program designed to support greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction projects and initiatives for NWT businesses, industry and non-profit organizations.
Funding and resources for this program have been provided jointly by the GNWT in support of the GNWT’s 2030 Energy Strategy, and by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) under the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund (LCELF) in support of the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change.
The program is accepting applications on an annual basis over the next three years. The program ends March 31, 2022. Examples of potential projects include:
- Building energy retrofits
- Biomass boilers and district heating
- Renewable energy for space or water heating
- Fuel switching to lower GHG emissions
- Waste-to-energy initiatives
- Methane capture and use
- Energy retrofits to mobile equipment
Businesses and industry applicants may receive up to 25% of eligible project costs. Non-profit applicants may receive up to 40% of eligible project costs. There is no maximum grant request per applicant, and a single applicant may seek the entire yearly allocation (see Program Guide for grant amount available). However, there may be other competitive applicants requesting funding and the GNWT may choose to support multiple projects over just one.
The GHG Grant Program is designed to fill a gap in funding for larger GHG reduction initiatives. There is a minimum project cost of $100,000 to be eligible for these funds. The GNWT provides smaller grants through the Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA). Contact AEA for more details on smaller grant initiatives (aea.nt.ca).
Snowshoe Inn Solar Power
Snowshoe Inn, located in Fort Providence, was awarded $36,500 under the GHG Grant Program for Business and Industry on June 19, 2020.
The project proposal includes an off-grid solar panel installation at the Snowshoe Inn site, which will service its connected commercial and residential buildings. The installation is expected to reduce up to 55 tonnes of GHG emissions annually.
The total cost of the project is expected to be up to $146,000. Of that total, 25 per cent ($36,500) is being covered by the GHG Grant Program. The recipient will cover the remaining 75 per cent ($109,500).
Project construction will begin immediately and is expected to be complete by Fall 2020.
J&R Mechanical District Heating
On June 29, 2020, J&R Mechanical Ltd was awarded $274,000 under the GHG Grant Program for Buildings and Industry.
Based in Yellowknife, J&R is a 100% Northern-owned plumbing, heating and ventilation contracting company. J&R employs thirty journeymen and apprentice plumbers/pipe fitters, oil burner and sheet metal mechanics, as well as 5th Class power engineer and WETT Certified personnel.
The grant will help fund the installation of a 390-kilowatt wood pellet boiler district heating system behind J&R’s business on Woolgar Avenue that will supply heat to the GNWT Central Warehouse on Byrne Road, with the potential to connect to other private commercial buildings in the area.
This project is expected to defer up to 193 tonnes of CO2e annually—33 tonnes from J&R office building and 160 tonnes from the GNWT Warehouse connection. The new system is expected to reduce oil use in the warehouse by about 60,000 litres annually, or ninety percent of current oil use.
Total cost of the project is expected to be just over one million dollars, with approximately twenty-five percent ($274,000) being covered by the GHG Grant Program.
The project is scheduled to be completed by the Spring of 2021.
How to Apply:
- Carefully review the GHG Grant Program Guide for Buildings and Industry. (click here to download)
- Complete the GHG Grant Program Application Form and Proposal Template. (click here to download)
If you have any questions or would like further information about the GHG Grant Program, please refer to our Freqently Asked Questions page, or contact the Program Coordinator by email, phone or standard mail.
Phone: 1-867-767-9021, ext, 32026
GNWT GHG Grant Coordinator
Department of Infrastructure
Government of the Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320