GHG Grant Program for Buildings and Industry
NOTICE: Funding for this program is now fully subscribed.
This funding program is designed to support projects and initiatives by NWT businesses, industry and non-profit organizations that help to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Funding for this program is provided by the Government of the Northwest Territories and Government of Canada under the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund (LCELF)
The program is accepting applications until July 1, 2023. The application deadlines are:
- March 1, 2023
- July 1, 2023
This funding program is application‐based. There is a minimum project cost of $100,000 to be eligible for these funds.
- Businesses and industry applicants may receive up to 25 % of eligible project costs.
- Non-profit applicants may receive up to 40% of eligible project costs.
- Governments, municipalities, public sector bodies and Indigenous government organizations may receive up to 75% of eligible project costs.
An applicant may apply more than once and a single non-GNWT applicant may seek the entire yearly allocation. Multi-year projects and funding arrangements will be considered.
Examples of potential projects include:
- Building energy retrofits
- Biomass boilers and district heating
- Renewable energy for space or water heating
- Fuel switching to lower carbon fuels
- Waste-to-energy initiatives
- Methane capture and use
- Energy retrofits to mobile equipment
- EV charging infrastructure
- Incremental biomass energy installation costs for new buildings
- There may be other applicants requesting funding. The GNWT may choose to support multiple projects over just one.
- The GNWT provides smaller grants through the Arctic Energy Alliance.
How to apply
- Review the program guide. Some projects, though not listed, may still qualify for funding.
- Complete an application form and proposal template.
- Prepare all supporting documents listed in the Guide and Application Form Checklist.
- Submit the completed application form and all supporting documents.
Once your application has been submitted, a team of GNWT reviewers will begin a review.
- GHG Grant Program Guide
- GHG Grant Program Application Form and Proposal Template
- List of current projects
GNWT GHG Grant Coordinator
Department of Infrastructure
Government of the Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320
1-867-767-9021, ext. 32058